Wednesday, July 21, 2010

 Snapshot of Israel

http://www.yousendit.com/download/T1Vuc0wyRSs4Q1JjR0E9PQ

I took this picture 3 days ago. Anything special? Just children playing, right? Not so fast...

I'm in the Old City of Jerusalem on a street/square called Batei Machase. I see to my left elders sitting in a bench, looking at those children play. Then, there is also a scripture craved on a stone, just behind me. It's a quote from the prophet Zekharia. 8: 4-5

Zekharia lived at the time (540 BCE) when the Jews were exiled to Babel and their future looked very grim. Following the course of history, the Jews should have naturally integrated/assimilated to the Babylonian Empire, and disappear….

Yerushalaim was totally destroyed, completely in ruins; everything was ashes, death and desolation….

But from the mist of the ruins, Zekharia had an incredible courageous vision: Chapter 8 4 - 5

"And now haShem says: I will return to Mount Zion, and I will live in Yerushalaim"

"…. And once again old men and women will walk Jerusalem's streets with their canes and will sit together in the city squares. And the streets of the city will be filled with boys and girls at play".

Now, the whole picture: I'm reading this very verse, engraved on the stone next to me. I see the elders, sitting in a bench. I see the children playing on the street. And I realize, I have the incredible –an undeserved- merit of being a witness to Zekharia's words.

In MY days, in YOUR days, in OUR incredible days his words were finally fulfilled. Zekharia was talking about US! We are living a prophecy...

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments:

Post a Comment