Tish'a BeAb is our National Day of Mourning. We display our sorrow 1. By preparing ourselves emotionally for mourning, 21 days in advance. 2. By behaving in Tish'a BeAb as if we were mourning a loved close relative. 3. By reflecting on our role and accountability in the tragic events that happened on Tish'a BeAb . 4. By trying to amend our ways and religious behavior (teshuba).
On this day, five tragedies occurred to Am Israel
1. CHET HAMERAGELIM: The Jews in the desert accepted the slanderous report of the 10 explorers, and cried the whole night complaining to God that took them out of Egypt, and hinting that He won't be able to take them to the Land of Israel (1312 BCE). The whole generation that left Egypt was condemned to die in the dessert. The night on which they cried, was Tish'a BeAb.
2. CHURBAN HABAYIT HARISHON: The First Temple was destroyed by the Babylonians, led by Nebuchadnezzar. Millions of Jews were slaughtered or exiled to the Babylonian empire (586 BCE).
3. CHURBAN HABAYIT HASHENI: The Second Temple was destroyed by the Romans, led by Titus. Close to two million Jews were killed, and one million Jews were exiled (68 ACE).
4. NILKEDA BETAR: The Bar Kochba revolt was crushed by Roman Emperor Hadrian. The city of Betar - the Jews' last stand against the Romans - was captured and liquidated. Over 100,000 Jews were slaughtered (135 ACE).
5. NECHERASH HAHEKHAL: Around the same time, on the 9th of Ab, the Temple's holiest area and its surroundings was plowed by the Roman general Turnus Rufus. Jerusalem was turned into a pagan city, and renamed Aelia Capitolina. Access to Jews was forbidden.
Click HERE to read: "Kamtza and Bar Kamtza", the story that destroyed the Holy Temple. By Aish.