17th of Tamuz, 5770
Five tragedies happened to the Jewish people on the 17thof Tammuz:
1. In Biblical times, Moses descended from Mount Sinaion this day and upon seeing the Jews worshipping the Golden Calf, he broke the first set of Tablets that carried the Ten Commandments.
2. King Menashe, one of the worst kings of the Kingdomof Yehuda, placed on that day an idol in the Holy Sanctuary of the Temple, around the year 700 BCE.
3. In the time of the First Temple, on the 17thof Tammuz in the year 587 BCE, the Kohanim (priests) stopped offering the daily sacrifices due to the shortage of sheep during the siege of the city by the Babylonian army.
4. One year later, 586 BCE the walls of Yerushalaim were breached after many months of siege by Nebuchadnezzar and his Babylonian forces. Three weeks after the breach of the wall the Bet haMikdash was destroyed on the 9thof Av.
5. Around the year 50 of the Common Era, Apostomus, a Roman captain, seized a Torah scroll and burned it in public.